From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)
"BISHOP'S NYMPTON, a large village, on a pleasant declivity, 3 miles E.S.E. of South Molton, has in its parish 1325 inhabitants, and 9579 acres of land, skirted on the west by the river Mole, and intersected by several tributary streams. This large parish is hilly and fertile, and comprises many scattered farm houses, and the hamlets of Ash-Mill, 1½ mile E.; Newton, 1 mile N.; and Bishop's Mill, or Bish Mill, 1½ mile S.E. of the village. . . . The soil is held by numerous free and copy-holders, the largest of whom are the Rev. W. Karslake, Rev. W. Thorne, Sir R.G. Throgmorton, Rev. P. Johnson, H. Bawden, Esq., Rev. J. Bawden, Rd. Preston, Esq., and Messrs. S.W. Yeo, T. Loveband, S. Passmore, and Alex Fisher. Mole Mills, formerly employed as a woollen factory, are now unoccupied. . . . The Church is a fine old structure, with a lofty and elegant tower, containing six bells. . . ."