From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)

"CRUWYS-MORCHARD is a hilly but fertile parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles W. of Tiverton; containing 670 souls, and 5765 acres of land, including the hamlets of Cotton, Yelbury, and Way. The manor has been held by the Cruwys family since the reign of King John, if not from a much earlier period. The Rev. G.S. Cruwys, M.A., is now lord of the manor, and patron and incumbent of the rectory, valued in K.B. at 21 11s. 8d., and in 1831 at 501. He resides at his ancient family seat Cruwys Morchard House, which has lately been enlarged and modernized, and has a tasteful and well wooded park, mostly planted in 1834-5. . . . The Church (Holy Cross,) is an ancient structure, with a massive tower and six bells. . . . The Rev. John Pitman, the Rev. T.A. Melhuish, and several resident freeholders have estates in the parish. Mr. George Ayre owns and occupies Ruckham, which was for many centuries the residence of the ancient family of Drake. . . ."