Excerpts from the Universal Directory of Great Britain in 1791:
"Ware is twenty one miles from London. It is the second post-town from thence on the northern road. It stands on the River Lee in its course from Milford. The town is low being on a level with the river. It is a place of great trade for all sorts of grain but chiefly malt, which is conveyed in great quantities to London by the river Lea and the new navigable canal; and the barges bring back coals etc...............The coach sets out every day to the Vine, Bishopsgate-street; and the waggon to the Dolphin, Bishopsgate-street twice a week."