Extract from Pigot's Directory of Somerset 1830
Milborne Port is a borough town in the hundred of Horethorne, 115 miles from London, 13 from Shaftesbury and 2 from Sherborne; situated at the foot of a steep cliff on the River Ive, and is chiefly built on the sides of the high road from Yeovil to Shaftesbury . Although Milborne within these last ten years,has been improved and received an accession of several new houses, it is still but an irregularly built town having more the appearance of a village, the houses in general being detached from each other and the only buildings of consequence are, the church and the market house. The inhabitants, at one period, found employment in the weaving of dowlas, ticking, lindsey-woolsey and sail-cloth; these trades have disappeared and in their stead glove making has been established and the dressing of leather; the principal manufacturer is Mr Willmington. In the twenty-sixth of Edward 1 it obtained the privilege of sending members to parliament when the right of election was vested in the burgage holders; the present representatives are John Henry North and Albert Chichester, Esquires. The living of Milborne is a vicarage in the gift of the Marquis of Anglesey, who is the lord of the manor; the Rev. Charles Bowle is the present vicar and his curate is the Rev. Wm Gane. The church is a neat structure but without anything attached to it deserving particular remark. The fairs are June 5 and Oct 28 for cattle, pedlery and toys. The borough and parish contained in 1821, 1,441 inhabitants.
The following pictures are reproduced with the permission of the Francis Frith Collection at www.francisfrith.co.uk